About Big Change:
Big Change is a social impact accelerator – we invest in big ideas that are rethinking how we set young people up to thrive in life not just exams. Big Change has built a strong track record of backing powerful projects at an early stage and are now looking to build on this strong foundation to codify, deepen and scale our impact going forward.
We recognise that with great ambition comes the need for great people and we are looking for someone to play a central role in maximizing the impact of Big Change in the UK – now and in the future. You will be taking the lead on our learning and potential for having the greatest impact in the sector, through the projects we support and the broader advocacy agenda.
You are as comfortable and credible with senior leaders and influencers in policy, education and business as you are on the frontline learning about what works (and doesn’t!) from social entrepreneurs, young people and teachers.
You will be a bold, strategic thinker, strong project manager and always questioning and learning about the best way to do things. You will be comfortable in quickly picking up new subject areas and digesting many inputs to develop an emergent narrative around the areas of greatest opportunity for change. You will have excellent relationship building skills and be comfortable facilitating collaboration, events and partnerships.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to both shape and grow quickly with the role and organization as we enter an exciting next phase.
For more information please see the Big Change 5 year review
Key roles and responsibilities:
A. Accelerate and Track Impact
- Working closely with Big Change’s live cohort (and alumni) to ensure regular reporting and tracking of project outcomes, and identification of opportunities to support and accelerate their impact.
- Proactively connect our project partners to others in the sector/our community who can support their outcomes, including project visits and insight events.
- Codify our support offer for Big Change projects, working closely with the Operations Director.
- Promoting and celebrating the work of our projects via regular communications (blogs, social, newsletter, Quarterly Impact Reports) - out to the sector and to our community/donors/strivers.
- Linking our project partners into the broader Reimagining Education agenda - communicating how their solutions are part of creating the big change
B. Manage and Oversee Grant Funding
- Manage and oversee Big Change's grant funding process.
- Build the pipeline of potential project partners and applicants, and develop our pipeline of potential outcome areas.
- Help to build and work with an external Impact Council of experts that guide and push both our thinking and ensure we are backing the best ideas.
C. Develop Sector Insights & Relationships
- Support the development of Big Change’s future impact strategy for the UK.
- Developing our knowledge base around the need for change and opportunity in the sector through staying on top of the latest ideas, research and needs in the UK.
- Supporting team learning around the sector, needs, and opportunity areas.
- Mapping and engaging key partnerships across the sector, and developing critical relationships
- Continually evolving our emergent narratives around key outcome areas, with the input of cross-sector and discipline experts and frontline workers. With support from external organisations and consultants.
D. Thought Leadership & Brand Building
- Sharing the narrative, stories, evidence and data about our impact (and learnings) with our community of funders, supporters and broader influencers.
- Sharing our ways of working, lessons learnt, insight from our network and anything else that might be interesting or useful for the advancement of the broader sector.
- Link in UK projects and activity to coalition of global experts to build our thought leadership, evidence and advocacy around Reimagining Education.
- Support with the organisation and management of events and gatherings when appropriate to convene experts, influencers and practitioners to drive united action or insight around Big Change’s central mission and key focus areas.
- Managing Director
- Operations Director
- Communications and Marketing Manager
- Big Change Project Partners
- Community Team
Knowledge and Core Competencies:
- Previous experience in a similar position, ideally in the education or youth sector. Experience in research and writing a big plus;
- Comfort in working with a broad range of stakeholders, both internal and external to pull off things others wouldn’t think possible;
- Strong project management skills and a great organizer with an eye for detail and the ability to prioritize work and juggle multiple things at once;
- Strong relationship skills and able to build credibility, learn from, and convene a diverse group of stakeholders (many leaders and influencers) and manage to effective outcomes;
- Research, critical thinking and strong judgment in analyzing multiple inputs to develop our emergent narrative and point of view on key areas, challenging conventional wisdom;
- Comfortable creating content and communicating with our community and partners;
- Ability to identify solutions in a fast-paced environment, work autonomously and be proactive in approach;
- A good sense of humour and fun, and willingness to jump in and help with anything and everything
If you are interested in applying for this role, please send your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than June 8th, 2018.
When you provide us with your CV or application, our People Team will use the information you provide to assess your application and for our recruitment and related People Team purposes. This may involve your information being passed to trusted third party services providers who may store or process your data on our behalf, which may take place outside of Europe. As part of this process, we may also, where appropriate, share your information with other members of the Virgin Group or other Virgin related entities. Please let us know if you have any questions around this.