Creative culture has a big role to play in fostering a healthy society. Film, music and art can bring people together, inspire activism and bring about change.
Virgin has always embraced being different and used our creativity to try and stand out from the crowd. In our early days, we took chances on unknown artists and signed them with Virgin Records and took on Virgin Atlantic’s biggest rival British Airways with eye-catching advertising campaigns on a shoestring budget. Creativity – or thinking differently, as we like to say within the Virgin Group – has moved our brand from mail order records to space travel. Had we not embraced creative ideas, we would have more than likely gone out of business when the iPod changed the music industry.
It’s great to still see a strong creative streak across the Virgin Group, with Virgin Hotels working with artists such as Millie Brown to create jaw-dropping performance art to Virgin Australia hosting a fashion show in the sky.
For our latest Spotlight series on Virgin.com, we are delving deep into our next topic of Creative Matters, looking at how businesses are supporting creative talent, inspirational campaigns and why strong creative talent is so important to business and society.
With this in mind, I’ve put together my top ten quotes on Creative Matters to get you inspired:
10. "You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have." – Maya Angelou
9. "You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not’?" – George Bernard Shaw
8. "Creativity is intelligence having fun.” - Albert Einstein
7. “What makes you different or weird – that’s your strength.” – Meryl Streep
6. “The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.” - Dorothy Parker
5. “If you hear a voice within you say ‘you cannot paint,’ then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.” - Vincent van Gogh
4. “When all think alike, then no one is thinking.” - Walter Lippman
3. “I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells.” – Dr Seuss
2. “Imagination is the uniquely human capacity to envision that which is not; it is the foundation of all invention and innovation.” - J. K. Rowling
1. “Live the full life of the mind, exhilarated by new ideas, intoxicated by the romance of the unusual.” – Ernest Hemingway
See more from this series:
My top 10 quotes on leadership
My top 10 quotes on failure
My top 10 quotes on change
My top 10 quotes on positivity
My top 10 quotes on dreams
My top 10 Disney quotes
My top 10 quotes on modern leadership
My top 10 quotes on teamwork
My top 10 quotes on learning
My top 10 quotes on celebrating
My top 10 quotes on turning points
My top 10 quotes on finding happiness
My top 10 quotes on kindness