At Virgin, our people are our greatest asset and we see the strength and value in our differences. We’re always striving for greater inclusion and diversity in our global workforce.
We will be looking at how we’re doing things differently in our latest spotlight series on Virgin.com: Breaking Barriers. I’m proud that many Virgin companies are taking action and embracing some bold initiatives to break down barriers – for example Virgin Media are aiming to help one million disabled people into work with their #WorkWithMe campaign and Virgin Trains have a scheme to help ex-offenders find a job with them.
Here are my top 10 quotes on breaking barriers:
10. “Our diversity is our strength. What a dull and pointless life it would be if everyone was the same.” - Angelina Jolie
9. “We need to make sure we're all working together to change mindsets, to change attitudes, and to fight against the bad habits that we have as a society.” - Justin Trudeau
8. “No matter what people tell you, words and ideas can change the world.” - Robin Williams
7. “Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything.” George Bernard Shaw
6. “The tennis ball doesn't know how old I am. The ball doesn't know if I'm a man or a woman or if I come from a communist country or not. Sport has always broken down these barriers.” – Martina Navratilova
5. “You can focus on things that are barriers or you can focus on scaling the wall or redefining the problem.” - Tim Cook
4. “You should never view your challenges as a disadvantage. Instead, it's important for you to understand that your experience facing and overcoming adversity is actually one of your biggest advantages.” - Michelle Obama
3. “Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.” - Michael Jordan
2. “There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect.” - Ronald Reagan
1. “An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.” - Mahatma Gandhi
What’s your favourite quote on breaking barriers? Head over to our Spotlight homepage to dive deeper into the topic.