The New Year brings with it a new opportunity to really evaluate what’s important and work to make life better for ourselves and everyone around us. Over the break I’ve been thinking a lot about how we can all make 2017 a stand out year of happiness and positivity, and one of the best ways I can think of doing this is through kindness.
Kindness is such an important characteristic – so we should all work on being more friendly, generous and considerate. To help you do this, this year I challenge you to complete the 15 random acts of kindness as listed below. I will be carrying them out myself, too. The more people smile, the more the world will smile.
1. Tell a joke
2. Call a friend or a relative
3. Give a compliment to a stranger
4. Make up with anyone you’ve fallen out with (even if you feel it’s their fault)
5. Give someone a hug
Richard Branson hugging Virgin Trains employee
6. Leave a happy note for someone to find
7. Email an old teacher who has made a difference in your life
8. Hand-write someone a letter, and mail it
9. Smile at someone on the street, just because
10. Talk to the shy person who’s sitting by themselves at a party
11. Help a parent with their baby stroller
12. Help someone struggling with heavy bags
13. Stop to talk to a homeless person
14. Give up your seat to someone on the bus or train
15. Give someone a book you think they’d like
There’s never been a time where the world needs kindness so much. If we were to all do just one of these simple acts then we would create a massive groundswell of positive change.
Can you suggest a different random act of kindness that you think people could do to brighten someone’s day? I’d like to hear about it in the comments below.