Providing more than 400 NHS and social care services with a difference.
We provide front line NHS and social care services across the country. Since 2006 we’ve treated more than five million people, making sure everyone feels the difference.
Our aim is to make a real difference to peoples’ lives by offering NHS and social care services that are:
Better than what went before;
A great experience for everyone; and
Better value for the public and the NHS.
We understand that it’s our people living our values that makes us who we are, and it’s about how together we can make a difference.
Hear more about Virgin Care from Richard Branson and Bart Johnson here.
Where would I expect to see Virgin Care?
We operate more than 400 NHS and social care services throughout the country across three broad service types:
- Primary care services - GP practices, urgent care centres, minor injury units and walk-in centres
- Intermediate care services - usually services that your GP refers you for such as audiology, dermatology, ophthalmology, physiotheraphy and reheumatology, to name a few.
- Community services - wheelchair services, prison healthcare, sexual health, community hospitals, neuro-rehabilitation, frail/elderly care, health visiting, district nursing, services for children with complex mental, physical and sensory learning difficulties, and end of life care
Social care services - such as services for people with a learning disability, services supporting people who are looking for work, services supporting people to live independently and the ‘Wellbeing College’ bringing together a variety of services to help keep people healthy.
As well as directly providing services, we also oversee services provided by other organisations which work closely with our own services in East Staffordshire and from Bath and North East Somerset too.
Some of our key services:
- Children and young people’s health and social care services - we run children’s services across parts of Devon, Wiltshire, Essex and in Bath and North East Somerset
- Community services - we run community services in some areas of Surrey, the Wirral, Bath and North East Somerset, West Lancashire and North Kent
- Sexual health - we run sexual health services in North East Lincolnshire, North Lincolnshire, Greater Manchester and Teesside
- Prison healthcare - we run prison healthcare services across Norfolk
We’re constantly looking for ways we can provide better care by challenging how things have been done before if they’re not working.
We listen to our teams and the people using our services and many of our innovations, both large and small, have come as a direct result of this. This different approach and promise to provide care good enough for our families are about making a real difference in people’s lives − the Virgin Care difference.
Here are some of the ways we’re changing things for good:
Changing the way we work: Community Nursing
A multi-million pound investment in mobile technology and a new way of working designed by our community nurses is giving them more face to face time with patients and making care safer. Read the full story here.
Adding magic touches to experience: Community Hospitals
We’ve introduced new welcome packs for inpatients at our community hospitals to make their stay more comfortable and give their families peace of mind. Read the full story here.
Partnering to improve baby feeding: Public Health Nursing
All of our public health nursing services are Baby Friendly Initiative accredited, and in Devon we’re partnering with LloydsPharmacy to provide mums with support on the high street. We’ve trained health visitors to work as specialist infant feeding experts to help mums, while LloysPharmacy host and provide access to essential tools. Read the full story here.
Innovating to improve sexual health around the customer
We redesigned our sexual health services to work around the people who use them when we introduced the sexual health hub, turning our services 24/7 and making them much more convenient. The 24/7 service means our ads on social networking site Grindr led to an increase in testing. Read the full story here.