What is Ocean Unite?
The Ocean is probably the biggest business in the world. It provides half the oxygen we breathe, it has absorbed a quarter of our CO2 emissions, it supports the livelihoods of more than 3 billion people and puts food on our plates, but it is under threat.
Ocean Unite brings together a diverse group of conservationists, business leaders, philanthropies, and influential individuals who share a common concern: that the Ocean and marine life – once thought to be infinite – now face a questionable future. Their collective mission is to Unify, Amplify and Engage key voices at the moments that matter the most for the Ocean.
How is Virgin Unite involved?
Ocean Unite was initially set up by Virgin Unite in collaboration with a group of partners. The Moore Charitable Foundation, Ocean Foundation, Munson Foundation, Henry Foundation and Tiffany & Company Foundation have joined Virgin Unite in providing Founder’s Circle funding and support to shape and build this new initiative. In addition to funding, Virgin Unite is supporting the back-end operation and incubation of Ocean Unite.
Ocean Unite’s Goals
Between 2017 and the end of 2020, Ocean Unite will continue to ramp up their work to unify and amplify key Ocean messages, and engage decision-makers through the Ocean Unite Network, to work towards achieving our vision of protecting 30% of the Ocean by 2030 and to engage business voices through our Ocean is Everybody’s Business initiative.
What has Ocean Unite achieved so far?
- Built the Ocean Unite Network, a group of over 30 political and business leaders, and social media influencers determined to secure a healthy and vital Ocean for the future.
- Supported various conservation initiatives to end illegal fishing and establish ‘national parks at sea’. This has involved the designation of marine reserves in country waters around the world as well as the designation of the Ross Sea marine reserve in the Antarctic, and support for a new international agreement to protect marine life in the high seas.
- Supported initiatives to establish a region-wide shark and ray sanctuary in the Caribbean.
- Launched The Ocean Is Everybody’s Business initiative, which engages the business community to take concrete steps on ocean conservation and raise awareness of ocean issues among consumers.
- Compiled & Distributed The Navigator – a monthly newsletter to the Ocean community.
- Provided policy, communications and strategic campaigning expertise and advice to Ocean conservation organizations, individuals entering the space, and the philanthropic community.
- Launched a partnership with the Lonely Whale Foundation around a social media collaboration - #MakeASplash.
- Find out more by reading the Ocean Unite's mission.
- We need your help to protect the future of our oceans, support us by donating to Ocean Unite.
- Shop for Ocean Health
- Watch our video on why the Ocean is Everybody’s Business
Who are we working with on this project:
- The Moore Charitable Foundation
- The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC)
- Oceans 5
- The Ocean Elders
- The Pew Charitable Trusts
- The Waitt Foundation
- The Ocean Foundation
- The Tiffany & Company Foundation
- The Munson Foundation