Prince Harry gave a brilliant speech at WE Day UK this year as he spoke of the small things we can all do to make a big difference. His words left the 12,000 young people in the audience confident of their ability to change the world.
The positive message that Prince Harry and Meghan are sharing with the younger generations is exactly what they need to hear right now. I’m sure the pair will make brilliant parents as they get set to welcome their first child into the world any day now and I can see them making a positive impact in the world for generations to come.
WE is a movement that brings hundreds of thousands of young people together from all over the world and gives them the tools to change the world. I’m proud to support the organisation as Co-Chair of WE DAY UK and I'm honoured to call Marc and Craig Kielburger - the founders of this incredible charity and co-authors of my first book - my friends.
It fills me with hope too see young people unified and collectively committed to making the world a better place every year at WE Day.
It was particularly inspiring to hear Prince Harry speak about two very personal yet global issues that will affect the next generation – our mental health and the health of our planet. Addressing the young crowd, he stressed that climate change is a humanitarian issue, not a political one and the consequences cannot be downplayed:
“Every forest, every river, every ocean, every coastline, every insect, every wild animal. Every blade of grass, every ray of sun and every rain drop is crucial to our survival.”
While that's a scary thought, his speech was an inspiring reminder that we’re all capable of creating change and making the world a better place. Here’s his to-do list to help us do just that:
- Be mindful of your feelings, your surroundings and the people around you.
- Be kind to each other and to yourselves.
- Remove judgement - not everyone sees things the way you do.
- Confidently voice your opinion so you can empower others and re-shape their mindset.
- Have less screen time, and more face-to-face time.
- Be brave, think outside the box and keep empathy alive.
- Eliminate plastics, conserve water and do your best to protect wildlife and their habitats.
- Ask your friends how they are doing and truly listen to the answer.
- Change your thoughts so you can change the world
- Dare to be the greatest generation of all time.
Prince Harry’s to-do list offers simple ways to create change and find purpose in what we do. Hopefully his list inspires all of us to commit to the little changes that can make a big difference.
Before calling Meghan on to the stage to thunderous cheers, he left the WE Day UK crowd with this one simple statement: “If we don’t stand for something, we’ll fall for anything.”
I, for one, cannot wait to see the wonderful projects that Prince Harry, Meghan and their growing family stand for in the future.