I used to think that the road to becoming a successful entrepreneur looked like reading all the business books I could get my hands on, learning the ‘right way’ to get started and executing the perfect idea.
Turns out, there is a lot more at play than studying an industry, creating the right product, and selling it to a customer who cares about it. Being a successful entrepreneur requires the right mix of character traits and skills in order to start, and stick with the vision. Of course, business practices can be taught, but what if you don’t have the right qualities to start with? Take the quiz below to see if you are a closet entrepreneur with the necessary natural abilities to succeed in business!
Directions: Grab a piece of paper and jot down a tick mark each time you agree with one of the following statements. When you get to the bottom of the list, tally up your tick marks and read the category that corresponds with your outcome.
1. You naturally ask "Why?" a lot.
2. You like problem solving and fixing things.
3. You thrive on independence and freedom from rules.
4. You love a challenge.
5. You see failure as getting one step closer to your desired outcome.
6. You read about people who risked it all on their dreams and you get so fired up you can’t sleep.
7. You’re known as an idea person.
8. You are self-disciplined enough to finish a project through to the end.
9. You have no problem working hard for no immediate rewards.
10. Making sacrifices for your dream isn't a big deal.
11. Going to a 9-5 job each day feels like it’s crushing your soul.
12. Doing work you truly care about is the only way to live life.
13. You had a lemonade stand when you were a kid and it’s one of your favorite memories.
14. You love the process of creating and your mind is locked in the “creation overdrive” setting.
15. You have a friend who started a business and you’re finding yourself more curious about it than you thought you would be.
16. You naturally see possibilities, not limitations.
13-16 Tick Marks:
You possess most of the natural abilities required to start, and run, a successful business. When you hit a roadblock, you’re the first person to say “Let’s brainstorm solutions” and you don’t quit until you have a new direction to go. You are curious about why things are and you like to ask questions. You are constantly coming up with ideas and exploring possibilities. Your experimental personality serves you well when looking to grow or taking a risk. With the right business practices and product, you would make an ideal entrepreneur.
8-12 Tick Marks:
You have some natural entrepreneurial qualities, but you may need a business partner to compensate for the traits you do not naturally possess. While you may love a challenge and your creativity has gotten you far, you may have a hard time sticking with the entrepreneurial lifestyle and lack of outside direction. Being aware of your limitations will serve you well if you decide to build a business because you can find ways to work around them and be successful.
1-7 Tick Marks:
The entrepreneurial journey will be a tough one for you if you are working alone. Not naturally inclined to seek solutions, work alone, or sacrifice comfort for risk, you will find this lifestyle stressful and messy. You are likely more inclined to seek security, structure, and a more predictable work environment. However, you may be a great asset to a start-up as a consultant contributing a specific skillset or advice. Better to stick with a job with stability and clear goals than put yourself in a position where you won’t be able to put your best foot forward.