About the Group and the Company
For almost fifty years Virgin has been championing consumers by disrupting business around the world. Spanning numerous sectors, our companies are united by a desire to challenge convention, delivering feel good experiences that you will want to be part of.
We are also united by our ambition, to play a meaningful role in people’s lives. As Richard says “If you aren’t making a difference in other people’s lives, you shouldn’t be in business”. We strive for this ambition by being purpose driven, with each of our companies changing business for good in their own way.
While it’s hard to “bottle” what makes the brand uniquely Virgin, we can be sure of the values which we all hold dear, and help us to continue our growth in a distinctly Virgin way. They are:
- Insatiable curiosity
- Heartfelt service
- Red hot
- Delightfully surprising
- Smart disruption
- Straight up
The Virgin Group focuses on the following core consumer sectors of :
- Financial Services
- Health and Wellness
- Music & Entertainment
- Travel and Leisure
We are a family of businesses with a shared brand. The companies are run independently and often have different shareholders and boards. As Virgin grows around the globe, the Group needs to ensure that the new businesses created, operate from the start with a strong emphasis on Brand, People and responsible business practices.
Virgin Management is the home of Virgin. It supports the Branson family and the growth of the Virgin brand by developing and nurturing valuable Virgin businesses around the world. The team has offices in London and New York and covers many facets of business including investment, legal, finance, tax, human resources, marketing and corporate relations. It also works alongside Virgin Unite, the charitable foundation of the Virgin Group and alongside Virgin Enterprises which licences the ‘Virgin’ brand.
The main purpose of the role is to provide support to the Group Tax Director to ensure that the Group meets its worldwide tax compliance obligations; that an appropriate tax control framework is maintained, and that brand and reputational risk is managed with regards to tax.
UK Tax Compliance:
- Own the tax audit process for the Head Office companies (including appropriate tax disclosures in accounts)
- Lead the preparation and submission of UK corporation tax computations to HMRC for the Head Office companies
- Report to the Tax Director each month on all UK group tax compliance matters (including VAT)
- Lead tax compliance work undertaken by Tax Managers to ensure completeness and accuracy
- Lead the tax controls and processes to assist Senior Accounting Officer to comply with their obligations
- Collate information to assist in simplification of the group structure
- Attend HMRC meetings, calls, presentation slides - preparation and follow up as required
- Deal with all HMRC enquiries (as required)
- Creating and maintaining the Group Tax Strategy documentation
- Preparation and submission of Country by Country reporting, BEPS, Diverted profits tax reports to HMRC
- Lead on group issues including Debt Cap/Interest Cap, loss reliefs etc
- Lead and cultivate good working relationship with HMRC teams
Overseas Tax Compliance:
- Ensure all overseas tax compliance (US, Singapore, India, Mauritius) matters are dealt with
- Assist Tax Director with overseas enquiries and ad hoc advisory
- Review of various US forms eg W8-BEN-E
- Leading on WHT and treaty issues and ad hoc WHT queries
- Dealing with FATCA/CRS forms for the Group (including bank application FATCA forms)
- Leading on Transfer Pricing Review and recharges
- Advising on tax aspects of charity fundraising and other events
- Dealing with compliance and ad-hoc advisory on not for profit organisation
- Leading and/or providing transaction and advisory support to Tax Director
- Leading on group simplification eg strike off steps / letters / meetings / final comps
- Assisting on ad hoc PAYE matters (internationally mobile employees, employer/employee relationship)
- Leading on various ad hoc projects incl property transaction matters Eg Makepeace Island, Son Bunyola, Opco/Propco reorganisation
- Review of financing structures, funding routes and approvals
- Providing technical advisory support, legislation changes, etc
- Responsible for creating a high performing team
- Responsible for mentorship and development of members, ensuring they have stretching and appropriate work-loads
- Supporting team members during busy periods/periods of absence.
- Challenging team members to set stretching and engaging objectives and to own their professional development.
Main partners include:
- KPMG/the Group’s auditors,
- VML Departments (Mainly Finance, legal and Company Secretarial)
- Operating Company Finance Departments
Experience and Skills
A UK qualified tax specialist with substantial UK and international corporation tax experience (10+ years) in either a top professional services firm or in-house in a large corporation. This role would also suit those looking to move into Industry from a Big 4 accounting organisation and some personal tax and VAT knowledge would be effective.
- ACA and/ or CTA qualification desirable
- Influencing senior management with relation to technical issues.
- Interacting with all business partners, explaining technical and compliant positions to non-tax individuals.
- Ability to negotiate complex issues with HMRC and business partners.
- Technical knowledge to sign-off on internal projects and submissions to HMRC.
- Ability to analyse complex and diverse documents and make appropriate evaluations and recommendations.
- Engaging and leading material and technical projects, utilising resources in the most efficient way.
- Ability to effectively prioritise own and direct reports’ workloads amidst conflicting deadlines and priorities
- Effective performance management of team, and ability to engage and inspire team to perform
- Excellent communication skills in order to work cross functionally with senior management and build working relationships across multiple jurisdictions and cultures
Diversity & Inclusion
Virgin Management embraces diversity. We believe in creating an inclusive environment and it’s an essential part of our culture. We’re committed to implementing our Diversity Policy and we expect all of our employees to treat each other equally, honestly and with respect. We want to nurture a culture where diverse perspectives can help drive our company change business for good.
We strive to provide a fair and supportive work environment for all our employees, regardless of their age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, or affiliation to any political party or trade union. We aim to employ people who reflect the diverse nature of society and we value each of our employees for the contribution they make, both individually, and as part of the Virgin family.
This role profile is not exhaustive; it will be subject to periodic review and may be amended to meet the changing needs of the business.
If you are interested in applying for this role, please send your CV and a covering letter to email@example.com.