East London, SA played host to the 2012 Ironman 70.3 triathlon in fine style on Sunday 22 January as 2 939 athletes were put through their paces facing a grueling 1.9 kilometre swim, 90 kilometre bike ride and 21 kilometre run. Marino Vanhoenacker from Belgium, crossed the finish line in record time claiming the title in the mens division, while Jodie Swallow from Great Britain claimed the title in the female category. Virgin Active South Africa, the official health and wellness partner to the Ironman 70.3, provided much needed relief to the athletes in the heat at the Virgin Active water station, while spectators were entertained throughout the day with a host of activities spurring on the athletes.
Virgin Active South Africa PR and Sponsorship Manager, Chantel Rall, says the event was a huge success. We are extremely proud to be the official health and wellness partner to Ironman. The aid station activation adds to the overall Ironman experience for both the athletes and the spectators. We are proud to support not only the overall event but also our members and the spectators. This even embodies commitment and working towards our common goal for a healthy lifestyle.
A few interesting facts from the aid station:
- 60 volunteers (Virgin Active members) assisted
- 1 162 energy gels were distributed from our aid station
- 12 400 water soaked sponges were handed out to athletes
- 158 litres of cola was consumed
- 442 energy bars were handed out to athletes
- 12 400 water sachets were consumed
- 250 kilograms of ice used to keep the drinks cold