Last updated: 16 July 2009
Welcome to Virgin.com.
We, Virgin.com Limited ("Virgin.com", "we" or "us"), would ask that you take the time to read these Terms and Conditions carefully. They explain a number of things including, for example, the rules covering your use of this site as well as other information regarding your rights. By using www.virgin.com, you'll be confirming that you have read and understood and agree to these Terms and Conditions. These Terms and Conditions may change from time to time and, if they do, the up-to-date version will always be available on the Virgin.com website. We will indicate at the top of these Terms and Conditions when they were last updated.
Please ensure that you check these Terms and Conditions regularly to view any changes which may have been made, because by continuing to use the site after these Terms and Conditions have changed, you will be confirming that you have read and understood, and agreed to be bound by, any revised Terms and Conditions.
Your Information and Privacy
- Virgin.com makes no endorsements, recommendations, guarantees or representations in relation to any restaurants, hotels, museums or other reviews published on this site. The reviews don't necessarily represent the views of Virgin.com. Please read these terms and conditions for further details.
- Reviews posted on our site don't necessarily represent the views of Virgin.com or the Virgin Group. Any positive or other review of any venue, restaurant, hotel, museum, or otherwise does not constitute a recommendation, endorsement or guarantee by Virgin.com and we make no representation as to quality. All ratings are intended as a guideline only and we do not guarantee their accuracy.
- Prices, menus, hotel amenities and other indicators in any review published by us are accurate as at the date of going to press, but are subject to change. We make no guarantee that any such information, or information in reviews posted by other users, will be accurate or up to date at the time you read it. Always review travel advice from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office before you decide to visit an international destination.
- Virgin will not be responsible or liable for any injury, loss or damage incurred or suffered as a result of any review. This paragraph should be read in accordance with applicable local laws.
Third Party Content
This site will contain some content which does not come from Virgin.com, whether such content is posted by users or otherwise comes from anyone other than Virgin.com (together, "Third Party Content"). Because of the open nature of the site, this Third Party Content is not approved by Virgin.com. We have to state that any views expressed in such Third Party Content may not represent the views of Virgin.com and that Virgin.com shall not be responsible or liable for any Third Party Content or for the consequences of the use of it.
We may keep an eye on Third Party Content from time to time but please note that we have no obligation to police it. If we have any concerns, we may remove Third Party Content from the site in our discretion with or without notice.
If you have any concerns about content appearing on this site, please click here to contact Virgin.com.
In order for our open forum to work, you the user must bear sole responsibility for the content which you post on the site and not post anything unless you have appropriate permission and authority to do so. By posting User Content, we have to assume that you are warranting that you have the permission and authority to do so and that, if at any point you no longer have that permission and authority, you will remove the User Content.
In posting User Content to the site, you are basically granting to Virgin.com an irrevocable, perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive, worldwide, transferable licence to publish, display, copy, modify, create derivative works from and distribute the User Content on the site. You're also granting Virgin.com the licence to use the User Content in any way for the purpose of publicising the site and to grant sub-licences on the same basis. This licence will terminate when you remove the relevant User Content from the site.
We may keep an eye on User Content from time to time but please note that we don't have any obligation to police it. We may remove or block access to any User Content at any time. For example, we may do this where we reasonably believe that someone has broken the law, e.g. infringed a third party's intellectual property rights or breached a duty of confidentiality. If needs be, we may also withdraw any permission to access and use this site and disable a user's registration with us. We can bear no liability in respect of any loss or damage suffered as a result of any of these actions.
The following section — User Code of Conduct — gives you our common sense guidelines for how to upload content in order to avoid causing harm or offence to yourself and others and to avoid having your User Content removed.
If you have any concerns about content appearing on this site, please click here to contact Virgin.com.
User Code of Conduct
We at Virgin.com are excited about customers and users being able to communicate with each other and share ideas. However, we want all our users to be able to feel safe and at ease whilst using our site. The best way of addressing this balance is to have a user code of conduct.
By using our site you'll be agreeing to these Terms and Conditions including the Code of Conduct in this section.
The virgin.com community is designed where possible to manage itself. Every comment left by a user can be rated and flagged by any other user. A user can positively, neutrally or negatively rate a comment. Also, a user can flag a comment as inappropriate or offensive by clicking a link that says "flag" next to each comment. Flagged comments may be reviewed by the moderators of Virgin.com, who may remove those comments if they feel they are inconsistent with these Terms and Conditions. If a user's comments are removed several times, it may be necessary to put the user "on probation" - meaning they cannot post anymore comments for a set period of time. If needs be we may remove the user from the site altogether.
So if we believe that a user's behaviour is likely to cause offence or harm to other users or to Virgin, or is otherwise unacceptable, we may issue that user with a warning, disable their registration and/or terminate or otherwise restrict their access to and use of this site . In addition, we may need to remove any content which they have shared or posted up on the site. We will try to give that user warnings through the flag and probation system outlined above but we're not obliged to give the user that notice.
To protect our users and the reputation of the site, we may keep an eye on the interaction between users from time to time but please note that we have no obligation to police it.
Virgin.com cannot take responsibility or liability for the conduct of any person who uses our site. In addition, Virgin.com is not responsible or liable for any loss or damage suffered as a result of the use of our site.
We ask that in using this site you show respect for other users and the property of others.
- to behave in a respectful way to all other users
- not to post or otherwise make available content which is, in our view, likely to impair others' enjoyment of this site
- not to breach the law or encourage a breach of the law
- not to post or otherwise make available content which is, in our view, abusive, offensive, defamatory, obscene, pornographic or of a sexual nature, illegal, threatening, intimidating, in breach of privacy, confidentiality or third party rights or otherwise unacceptable
- not to post or otherwise make available content which, in our view, portrays unacceptable violence
- not to behave in a way which is threatening, intimidating, harassing or bullying, offensive, abusive, defamatory, discriminatory or demeaning or to stalk or violate the rights of others including individuals' privacy rights
- not to do, cause or permit anything to be done that may infringe, damage or interfere with any copyright, moral rights, performing rights, design rights, trade mark rights or other proprietary or intellectual property rights of Virgin.com, any other Virgin company, their respective licensors or any third party
- to only upload content which is an original work created by you
- not to share any information which is confidential to any other person
- not do anything which will or might damage, interfere with, disrupt access to, overburden, interrupt or impair the functionality of the site, the materials available on the site or any software or hardware
- not to obtain or attempt to obtain unauthorised access to the site, any part of it or any private or member account areas
- not to obtain or seek to obtain personal information, confidential information or passwords from any other person
- to be entirely responsible for and keep secret any password used by you; you must change your password if you believe it is no longer secret
- not to circumvent or attempt to circumvent any filters we may use on this site
- not to do anything which may cause any liability for Virgin.com or any other Virgin company
- to ensure that individuals featured in any audio/visual content you are posting are all over 18
- not to distort or misrepresent any individual or thing
- not to register as or on behalf of anyone else, impersonate anyone else, seek to take on a false identity or misrepresent yourself, your identity or your age
- not post or otherwise make available content containing financial information (such as account, credit or debit card details) or information which identifies an individual personally or is capable of identifying an individual personally (such as names, phone numbers, email addresses or postal addresses)
- to respect information you obtain on our site and use it only in accordance with this User Code of Conduct and our Terms and Conditions
- not to advertise, promote or endorse any goods or services and
- not use our site to send any chain letters, junk mail, 'spamming' material or any other form of bulk communication
Protecting the online privacy of children is especially important to us. By accessing the site, registering with us or providing us with any of your personal information, you'll be representing and warranting that you are 18 or older and that you agree to these Terms and Conditions. If you are under 18 years old, please do not attempt to register with www.virgin.com and do not provide us with your name, contact details or any other information about yourself. If we reasonably believe a user to be under 18, we may need to remove their details and all User Content provided by them from our site and our records
Our legal eagles have said that we need to include this paragraph which basically protects Virgin against people suing us for something bad happening:
In using this site you agree to indemnify and hold harmless Virgin.com and all other Virgin companies, their subsidiaries and holding companies, the subsidiaries of their holding companies and each of their respective officers, directors, shareholders, employees, representatives and agents (and you shall continue to indemnify them and hold them harmless) in respect of all losses, liabilities, costs, claims, damages and demands suffered in connection with any User Content which you post or share on or through the site, your conduct in using the site, your behaviour towards us, other Virgin companies, our and their representatives, other users, any breach of law, any breach of these Terms and Conditions or any breach of any third party's rights.
All text, graphics, audio, video or image files, content, software, applications and information displayed on or available from this site, and all copyright, trade mark rights, design rights and other intellectual property rights in them (together, the "Proprietary Content") are the property of Virgin.com, other Virgin companies, our users, suppliers or licensors. This includes, without limitation, the organisation and lay-out of the site and the underlying software that is owned by us, other Virgin companies, our users, suppliers or licensors.
By using the site you're agreeing that Proprietary Content is available for personal use only and that you will not copy, reproduce, publish, distribute or dispose of in any way any Proprietary Content (other than your User Content which you have posted and for which you have the appropriate rights and permissions). Neither the Virgin name nor any other Virgin company name, trade mark, logo or design may be used or copied in any manner.
Links to Other Sites
Virgin.com provides, amongst other things, convenient links to other Virgin companies' websites. You can also contact the Virgin companies through the Contact Us section of the site. Our site also contains links to other third party websites, resources, advertisements or sponsorships.
We reserve the right to remove a link at any time.
When using www.virgin.com, you may get pop-ups occasionally. We use these for many reasons, like competition entry forms and questionnaires to help us improve our service to you. Pop-up boxes from Virgin.com are clearly marked with a heading from Virgin.com.
You might also get pop-up boxes from other Virgin companies. Again you should be able to identify these, as they should be marked with a heading from the relevant Virgin company.
You might also get pop-up ads from third parties. These may appear due to software you have installed, deliberately or unknowingly, on your computer. Unfortunately, Virgin.com cannot control these pop-up boxes because they haven't come from us.
If you have trouble using our website with certain web browsers or other software or if you want to let us know how we can improve accessibility, please let us know by clicking here to contact Virgin.com. We appreciate your feedback and your suggestions will help us to improve our service to you.
Site information and downtime
This site may be unavailable occasionally for maintenance, updating or otherwise. Where this happens we apologise for any inconvenience caused. However, Virgin.com shall not be liable for any loss or damages resulting from such unavailability.
At Virgin.com we take great care in seeking to present accurate, transparent and useful information to you as a user. However, as an open platform there is a lot of content on this site which is not generated by us — User Content and Third Party Content, as described above. Therefore, we should let you know that information on this site might be out of date, incomplete, contain some errors or be in some way unreliable. Just to be sure, please check any information obtained from this site before acting upon it in any way.
Please note that we may make changes to the site, its functions and services from time to time.
Other Limitation of Liability
It is important to note that using the internet does have its dangers. Our aim is to ensure a fast, reliable and secure service and to protect your personal information. However we cannot take responsibility for:
- any breach of security of www.virgin.com
- any damage, loss or corruption of any User Content, data, information or material
- any viruses or other malicious programs that may infect your computer equipment or other property
- any breach of security by hackers in relation to www.virgin.com
Virgin.com and the other Virgin companies won't be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, consequential or economic loss (or for any exemplary or punitive damages) in connection with the use of www.virgin.com or any other site. The same applies for the employees, officers, directors, representatives and agents of Virgin.com and/or the other Virgin companies. This paragraph only applies to the extent that it can in accordance with applicable laws.
Law and Jurisdiction
These Terms and Conditions and any dispute in relation to them is governed by English law and we reserve the right to bring proceedings in the courts in any location, the English courts or whichever forum we feel is appropriate.
As a user, the laws of your location may apply to your online dealings with www.virgin.com and you may have additional legal rights and/or obligations than those provided under English law. We always recommend that you should seek local legal advice, however we would encourage you to speak to us if you have any concerns to see if they can be resolved.
Other terms — a final word from our lawyers
If any provision or part of these Terms and Conditions is or becomes illegal, invalid or unenforceable, the legality, validity and enforceability of all of the other provisions and parts of these Terms and Conditions will not be impaired.
No failure or delay by Virgin.com in exercising or enforcing any right, power or remedy which arises under these Terms and Conditions shall operate as a waiver of that or any other right, power or remedy. No waiver by Virgin.com shall be effective unless in writing and signed by an authorised representative of Virgin.com.
Finally — If in doubt, talk to us
If you have any queries, comments or complaints regarding the site or these Terms and Conditions, just get in touch. You can click here to contact Virgin.com or write to us at:
c/o Virgin Management Limited
The School House
50 Brook Green
London W6 7RR
You can also call us. From the UK, dial 020 7313 2000 and from countries outside of the UK, dial +44 207 313 2000. Please ask to speak to the Webmaster of Virgin.com. It's not 24-7 so leave a message if needs be and we'll get back to you, ideally within 48 hours.
Alternatively, if you want to provide feedback about the website or report a problem you might have encountered, click here to fill out our online feedback form
If you have any queries, comments or complaints regarding the websites of any other Virgin companies or the products or services you receive from them, then please contact them directly. For your convenience, you can contact them through the Contact Us section of our site.