- By Richard Branson -
- Jun 20, 2012
Having travelled all over Madagascar recently, it was so sad to see 95% of the beautiful rainforests are being destroyed. But at least the remaining 5% is absolutely magnificent, with more diversity of species than almost anywhere else in the world.
The problem for the lemurs is that they are spread throughout Madagascar in small pockets and logging is continuing. Lemurs like the red ruffed lemur are in particular peril.
A zoo that fully supports the programme we’re doing on Moskito Island is giving us their red ruffed lemurs and black and white lemurs. They will be arriving on Necker Island and Moskito Island in a month’s time, where we’ll give them the space necessary for them to start a breeding programme. Ultimately, this will see some of their offspring returning to Madagascar once - and if - they stop the destruction of their forests.
Have a look at more of our photos from Madagascar over on Facebook.
By Richard Branson. Founder of Virgin Group