5 ways recycling helps the planet
- By Lauren Tessin -
- Jul 19, 2012
Today's guest blog focuses on how recycling benefits us all...
People are now more aware of how recycling can help us improve our lives and save our natural resources. Every day, we dispose tons and tons of garbage. Before we end up losing our natural resources because of the ill effects of too much garbage, we should practice reusing and recycling materials.
Here are just five ways recycling can help our planet:
1. Recycling helps minimize pollution. One way we can minimize pollution is through recycling and reusing garbage. When people burn garbage, this can harm the ozone layer and produce harmful gases which can lead to respiratory diseases like cough and asthma, among others. When garbage is thrown in the ocean, it could kill and affect our marine resources and coral reefs. That’s why every time we reduce waste, reuse, and recycle our garbage- from used plastic bottles, disposable cups and utensils, paper, and other plastic products, we get to save the earth and even millions of lives from the harmful effects of pollution.
2. Recycling helps preserve our natural resources. Can you imagine how many trees are cut every day to provide us with all our paper and wood? Well, if we recycle paper products like newspapers and books, we can save more trees on earth. As such, recycling products is extremely important so that we can help preserve our natural resources- from trees to minerals to marine resources. If we continue to waste our resources, the time might come that they will all be used up and we will end up with nothing.
3. Recycling gives green jobs. Did you know that recycling also provides green jobs to millions of people? When communities invest in efforts to recycle garbage and other waste materials, people are given the chance to work and earn money. From collecting garbage, segregating, transporting, to recycling them into useable products, people are given the opportunity to help save the environment and at the same time earn money for a living. People opening up junk shops for instance also engage in a worthwhile endeavour.
4. Recycling helps create awareness. Another benefit of recycling is the ripple effect it has on the people. When a school for instance ventures into recycling, this can be adopted by the community, and later on by a bigger organization, or the entire state itself. Through recycling, people become aware of its importance and the word gets spread everywhere. This way, people can work together to help save the environment.
5. Recycling saves expenses and resources. Finally, recycling can help save on our expenses and resources. It helps reduce the amount of materials that are wasted or thrown in landfills such as paper, plastic, glass, and aluminium. This also enables companies to rely less on raw materials, which requires more energy for manufacturing a new product. For instance, recycling plastic material requires less energy than having it produced from raw materials. This is more cost-effective and environment-friendly because carbon emissions are lessened and energy use is greatly reduced.
These are just five ways recycling can help the planet. So do your share now and start recycling.
This guest blog complies to Virgin.com terms & conditions.