Top 5 females artists du jour
- By Hannah Mahony -
- Jul 06, 2012
I’m not going to lie, I get girl crushes at the best of times. On the tube, flicking through magazines – even waiting in line for the changing room whilst shopping. But throw on a wacky outfit, give a girl a talent and I’ll buy into any musical pop/rock/rap princess.
As a Friday treat to myself and you, here are my top 5 female artists du jour:
5. Beth Ditto – I realise that she’s an unlikely crush to have, but after seeing her live in Paris I’ve completely fallen for the small-town-girl charm of Gossip’s front woman. With a voice that could cause a tornado and jokes to rival Ricky Gervais – Beth would certainly be my number one lady for a night out on the tiles of Camden.
4. Rita Ora – Her beaming smile, stage presence and long list of musical friends (Jay Z, Beyonce and even Tulisa are regular pals) would make any girl jealous. Not to mention her exquisite hair.
3. Nicki Minaj – Performing at this weekend’s wireless festival, the perfectly proportioned pint sized artist makes up for her height in voice, personality and vibrant fluorescent accessories.
2. Beyonce – So she may not exactly be hot on the musical circuit at the moment, but she sure is keeping her presence felt through festival appearances and the occasional pap-shot. Most notable outing as of late: moshing at Radio 1’s Hackney weekend.
1. Katy Perry - With her documentary film ‘Part of Me’ having just been released in the UK this year, her wig collection now surpassing primary colours, and a costume collection that would turn Dolly Parton green – Miss Perry is taking not just the UK, but the world, by a candy-cotton storm. Witty, comedic, talented and a keen guitar player (didn’t you know) – Katy Perry is still my number one musical girl-crush, wigs et all.